Mid-Atlantic Regional Group 

Blinded Veterans Association



Indiana State Veteran's Benefits

The state of Indiana provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

•Housing Benefits

•Financial Assistance Benefits

•Employment Benefits

•Education Benefits

•Other State Veteran Benefits

Indiana Veteran Housing Programs

The Veterans Home

The Indiana Veterans Home in West Lafayette provides nursing and domiciliary care for any Hoosier Veteran with at least one day of wartime service. To qualify you must have been a resident of Indiana for at least three years. The Home is open to both veterans and their spouses.

The Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Children's Home

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home, located in Knightstown, provides for the care and education of the children of veterans and members of the active Armed Forces. There are entrance provisions for other relatives of veterans if space is available at the Home.

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Indiana Financial Assistance Benefits

Property Tax Abatements

Property tax deductions are available to disabled Hoosier Veterans under the following conditions:

1.A $12,480 dollar deduction is available to veterans who: a.Served at least 90 days of honorable service.


b.Are totally disabled (not necessarily service-connected but the disability must be evidenced by a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs pension certificate).


c.Are at least 62 years old and 10% service-connected disabled.

Note: This deduction is not available if the assessed value of the real property owned by the veteran is in excess of $113,000.

2.A $24,960tax deduction is available for veterans who: a.Served honorably in the Armed Forces during any period of wartime.


b.Are at least 10% service-connected disabled.

3.A $37,440 tax deduction is available for any veteran who: a.a. Served honorably during any period of wartime.


b.b. Is 100% service connected-disabled.


c.c. Is at least 62 years of age with at least a 10% service-connected disability.

Indiana Employment Benefits

Employment Assistance

With funding from the U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development provides services to Hoosier Veterans. Through the Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program (DVOP), and the Local Veterans' Employment Representative (LVER) Program, Workforce Development Offices throughout the State are equipped to assist Hoosier Veterans with their transition from the service to civilian life. The DVOPs specialize in tailored training and job placement opportunities for veterans with service-connected disabilities. LVERs coordinate services provided veterans including counseling, testing, and identifying training and employment opportunities.

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Indiana Education Benefits

High School Diploma Program for WWI and WWII Veterans

Veterans who served between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 (World War I), or December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946 (World War II) may apply to the Indiana Department of Veterans' Affairs for issuance of an high school diploma. Veterans must have:

•attended public or nonpublic high school in Indiana prior to military service

•been a student in good standing

•not graduated or received a diploma because of leaving high school for military service

•and, been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States

Veterans, or their surviving spouses or eligible family members, may submit application to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Remission of Fees (Free Tuition) for the Child(ren) of a Disabled Veteran

The natural or legally adopted child(ren) of a disabled veteran may be eligible for remission of fees (free tuition) at any state-supported post secondary school or university in the State of Indiana. This applies at any age as long as the child was adopted by age 24 and the child is a resident of Indiana.

The Remission of Fees is good for 124 semester hours of education and may be used for either undergraduate or graduate level work. The amount remitted is 100% of tuition and all mandatory fees. The term "mandatory fees" is defined as any fee that must be paid by every student attending the institution.

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Other Indiana State Veteran Benefits

County Veterans Service Officers

Ninety-one counties in the State employ a County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO). These CVSO's are veterans who stand ready to help you with your veteran-related needs. The County Veterans Service Offices have all the forms and other information you may need to obtain service from the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Service Officers will assist you in finding the information and resources you need to solve your service-related problems. They are your liaison for all veteran issues.

Golden Hoosier Passport

A Hoosier Golden Passport provides unlimited admission to all Indiana State owned parks, recreation areas, reservoirs, forests, historic sites, museums, memorials and other Department of Natural Resource (DNR) facilities. The pass is good for one calendar year.

Persons eligible for a Disabled American Veteran license plate under IC 9-18-18-1 may purchase the Hoosier Golden Passport at DNR facilities around the State. If you have Disabled American Veteran plates on the vehicle simply drive to the gate and the attendant will sell you the Hoosier Golden Passport. If you do not have the plate but believe you are eligible you will be given a form to request the plate, which you must send to the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs for verification.

Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery

The Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery opened for internments on December 1, 1999. The Cemetery is located adjacent to the Madison State Hospital and Clifty Falls State Park in Madison, Indiana. Any Hoosier veteran eligible to be buried in a national cemetery will be eligible for burial in the Cemetery. The spouse of an eligible veteran will also be eligible to be buried there. For an application for burial contact the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs.

Burial allowances: Each County Auditor is authorized to pay up to an amount not to exceed $100 for the burial of a veteran or the veteran's spouse, and to pay up to $100 for the setting of a federal headstone. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge, and an application must be filed with the county auditor in the county of residence.

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Motor Vehicle License Plates

Indiana currently has the following license plates available to eligible veterans:

Hoosier Veteran Plates: Any resident of the State who was honorably separated from the active Armed Forces can purchase a Hoosier Veteran license plate. Simply take your DD-214 or your Discharge Certificate to your local BMV office and request the special plate. There is a $15 charge for the Hoosier Veteran plate.

Disabled Veteran Plates: Disabled Veteran plates are the same as handicap plates in the State of Indiana. These are strictly limited to those individuals who have a serious mobility impairment due to a service-connected disability. Applications may be obtained from either the BMV or the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility.

Ex-Prisoner of War Plates: The POW license plate is available to all ex-prisoners of war or to the surviving spouse of a deceased POW. Applications for these plates are available from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the eligibility of the applicant.

Purple Heart Plates: Any Hoosier Veteran who has received the Purple Heart Medal is authorized to have these special license plates. Applications may be obtained at the BMV or from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The veteran must present official documentation of the award, and the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility.

All plates may be purchased through the mail or at your local license branch. All plates except the Hoosier Veteran plate must be applied for through the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Hoosier Veteran plate does not require the completion of an application form, as do the other veteran plates. For more information on each plate, see eligibility for veteran license plates.

Peddlers, Vendors, or Hawkers License

State law provides that any wartime veteran who has an honorable discharge shall be granted these licenses by all cities and counties free of charge. See your county auditor.

Resident Veteran Hunting and Fishing License

Any Indiana resident who is service-connected disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may purchase a license to hunt and fish in the State of Indiana for a reduced fee.

In order to receive this benefit the veteran must complete the Application for Reduced Fee Hunting and Fishing License for Disabled Veterans available from County Veteran Service Officers, from the Department of Natural Resource offices, or from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The form verifies that the veteran is service-connected disabled and authorizes the reduced fee and is verified by the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs.

Vital Documents For Veterans Benefits

The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs and the Indiana State Archives have copies of DD-214's on file for many Hoosier Veterans who entered the service from Indiana. Copies of these will be provided upon request to the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The processing time for such a request is usually one or two weeks. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs or your County Veterans Service Officer can assist you with the paperwork to obtain other documents from the federal government.

End of Document

Back to State Veterans Benefits Page

Back to Home