Any VA health care facility may make a referral to a Blind Rehabilitation Center . The VIST Coordinator or Social Worker assigned to blind rehabilitation program at the appropriate VA facility prepares the application package and assures that it is forwarded to the VA Medical Center housing a Blind Rehabilitation program.
The application package for the blind rehabilitation center should include the following:
1. A fully completed VA form 10-10 Application for Medical Benefits, the related VA form 10-10M Medical Certificate and History, and VA form 10-1 OF, Financial Worksheet when necessary.
2. A cover letter briefly stating the events leading to the referral.
3. A current and complete physical examination, detailing all conditions that may affect progress in rehabilitation, including a detailed statement of physical capacities and tolerance, as well as pertinent radiology and laboratory reports.
4. A complete ophthalmological report, containing corrected and uncorrected near and distance visual acuities and measurements of peripheral and central visual fields.
5. A social work report, outlining the veteran's military, family, educational, social, and work history and other relevant information.
6. An audiological report.
7. VA benefits rating sheet.
8. Psychiatric and/or psychological report, if necessary.
The application package will be reviewed by the staff at the Blind Rehabilitation Center to determine appropriateness for admission to the blind rehabilitation center. The veteran and the referring VIST Coordinator or social worker will be informed of the decision.
An outpatient training program that employs a multi-skilled and experienced blind rehabilitation instructor who teaches skills in the Veterans home environment and/or local Veterans Affairs medical center. The BROS instructor has advanced technical knowledge and competencies in least two of the following disciplines at the journeyman level: orientation and mobility; living skills; manual skills and visual skills. The BROS has been cross-trained to acquire broadly based knowledge in each of the BRC disciplines including computer access training.
Veterans interested in these services should contact the VIST Coordinator in the VA medical center nearest their home.
VIST Coordinator: Sonya Morris. Phone number: (410) 605-7000. Ext. 5124.
(BROS) William Lange.
(BROS) Cyndy Iskow.
(BROS) : Cecilia Rose.
(202) 745-8000. Ext. 5007.
(302) 994-2511. Ext. 4960.